Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sydney Restaurant Reviewers

This recent post on Benjamin's Christie's blog about the Heat in the Kitchen show on SBS got me going. Ben raises a number of points (the dearth of Sydney restaurant reviewers I agree with).


Ben's point of of view is from a restaurateur (fair enough - he is a Chef). Mine is from a diner. Restaurant reviewers are a great beast and opinion differentiates the average review from the great. As much as I like all review, sites simplistic sites like Eatability.com.au do end up disappointing me. For example, Eatability.com.au is chock-a-block full of "It's gr8t - best ever" type posts. That doesn't help me one iota except possible to steer me away from the venue.


Reviews from Mathew Evans I respect. The guy calls a spade a spade. The real criticism is that there are not enough reviews of the sway of Mathew. The Sydney media scene is such that I don't think there will be anyone that truly has the sway of the Good Food Guide/Good Living reviewer.


In the aggregate I think its possible that 1,000 bloggers can achieve the same effect. Bring it on I say ...

9 Comments:

At 5:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a very enojable meal at a new restaurant called Bistro Lilly in the city. Really good food and a feel that is very warm ,friendly and good value

 
At 5:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have recently tried the little place in Kent Street called Bistro Lilly. Good value and service great.

 
At 10:31 am, Blogger exile7 said...

I tried Bistro Lilly after finding the restaurant from the Best Restaurants of Australia website. I have been plugging this website now because I think it is great. A must for any one who enjoys good food.

I'd found it through Benjamin Christie's website. Thanks mate for mentioning it.

Back to Bistro Lilly, I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys great food. Well done guys.

 
At 9:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

went here for dinner last nite great food and good value .the service a bit slow but will be back

 
At 7:56 pm, Anonymous Jon said...

I agree that Eatability reviews aren't good, but they're not reflective of all anonymous user reviews out there.

I was in Adelaide recently and user reviews on webmenu.com.au were really useful when trying to find restaurants.

I've noticed that they have launched their website in Sydney now, so hopefully the same quality carries across.

They do have a 100-word minimum on reviews, which might help. I don't know if Eatability have a similar policy.

 
At 12:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to this restaurant on North Shore called Raga. The food was great along with efficient service.Serving a group of 15 hungry men was a difficult task which those guys attained with a great service.

Must visit www.ragarestaurant.com.au

 
At 12:42 am, Blogger sydney said...

Hi There,

I found this great website that will be of interest to you. www.sydneyrestaurantreviews.info

Have a great day

 
At 9:32 pm, Blogger reviewer said...

Visit some great Sydney restaurants Sydney Restaurant Reviews

 
At 9:33 pm, Blogger reviewer said...

Visit some great Sydney restaurants Sydney Restaurant Reviews

 

Post a Comment

<< Home